Tuesday 18 June 2013

Warlord Games Ruined Hamlet for Bolt Action


I've been going to a local once a month club over in Coalville ran by a chap called Andy,  Nice chap, rubbish at gaming ;)



Between myself and Kris we've been like a whirlwind of destruction within the club talking about various systems and tempting Andy & James down the dark paths that we tread...

As always four old farts chatting about models and various other politically incorrect subjects ended up going down the path of a once a fortnight club based over in Coalville as it doesn't have a gaming club? So me being me I've volunteered my services and been given the task of sorting out a 4x4 generic 28mm board.

I've had the ruined hamlets kicking about for a while so decided to break open a box and have a play about with them,



The actual bits you get in the box are quite chunky so will stand upto some heavy handed gamers, the thing I couldn't get my head around is that there is no "instructions" you can either copy whats on the box or wing it! I did one building like the box then the creative juices started flowing and I had a play about,












for the actual painting I kept reminding myself that this was for a gaming table so no need to go micro detail with the terrain after all I carn't have the buildings looking better than Kris' Brits!

so with the trusty fine detail brush and budget paints from the Range I dry brushed my way through the lot!








after I'd done the basic grey I got some brown and sponged the walls to give it a used feel and then some black for the damage done by the fire that would have collapsed the buildings, I avoided loads of rubble as I wanted models to be placed within the foot print no problem and to give it the been run down for a long time look.



Once I'd done the basic drybrushing on the bases I grabbed some poison ivy from army painter and had a play about with it, as ivy it looks spot on and gives the terrain a nice touch, some bog standard static grass and lichen bushes later and its all good! The PVA was still wet in the pics... 
















Over all a cracking bit of kit, now what to do with this....


I'm thinking something along the lines of..




 any suggestions??

7 comments:

  1. The ruins look nice. I like the way you combined the pieces to get three distinct and different terrain pieces.

    Personally I prefer ruined buildings without lots of grass on them, as they look (to me) like they have been abandoned for hundreds of years with all that greenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you like them, I get where your coming from with the grass, I just went a tad over board with the PVA but I'm liking the old ruins look ;)

      Delete
  2. The ruins are nice !!!
    Where did you found them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. warlord sell them, I've a spare box of you want them for 20% off RRP

      Delete
    2. Well I might be interested, but i live in France, so we got to check the shipping prices
      Here is my email : blackankh@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Love the look you've created, Anton; I've got the set on order myself and your approach (old, abandoned ruins) have got me thinking... ;)
    Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you like them, I'll be intrested to see what you do with yours, ;)

      Delete