Friday 4 February 2011

Perry or Victix an intresting choice....

Well....

As I've managed to blow yet another day bulb in one of my lamps and the local DIY shop didn't have any I've decided rather than a post of this is what I've painted I'd do a comparison of the Perry & Victix plastic French Line Infantry,

So Lets start with...

Price:

Victrix - 60 chaps for around £22 that's 36 pence a model
Perry - 42 chaps for around £15 that's 35 pence a model

so value for model there about the same, you could get two units out of one victrix box where's in the perry box you get one command element so that could be a bit more difficult.

Quality & poses:

 Both boxes are the "new" generation historical plastic ranges, both been around for a couple of years now but this is where the similarity ends, the Victix box reminds me of a "proper" model kit loads of different options, i.e. heads and the like with sword scabbards and backpacks being separately, loads of arms for different stances are also included,you do get quite alot on the sprue below.















(now this is just the normal infantry sprue I'd already clipped out the command sprues earlier in the week, then thought about doing this post!)

now lets compare that to the Perry sprue














a massive difference! ok so again you've some head options and some of them look like chef's hats but hey that's history for ya! the basic sprue has two guys that can be posed shooting and advancing so you could use them as skirmishers or something along those lines,

now poses wise the Victrix box does have the most choices mainly down to the separate arms and heads so that you can pose your models how you want, but when you've units of 32 this can be a time consuming process, however on the perry side all you need to do is clip off the chap and his rucksack and that's it.

So both have there positive and negative points.. its comes down to personal preference.

Assembly:

with the Victrix box and all those bits that you've got you need to really think about the bits that you want to use most of the arm X will only go with arm Y combo's are fairly easy to mix up if you clip out and don't keep an eye on whats going where,
I'm not sure what the plastic is but it does take a little while for the plastic to really stick and hold its form, 

The actual assembly rules are pants all text no pictures, and when saying that grenadier's are armed with bla bla bla, it doesn' mean jack shit to me! I've ended up choosing "cool" looking bits for one of my units!

Perry on the other hand are so simple that in the time that I managed to do about 20 Victrix chaps I'd banged out a box of 42 and they where stuck on cardboard strips ready for base coating, assembly instructions aren't really included more of a painting guide for the uneducated (aka me!)

So again both are quite different, personally on ease of assembly Perry wins this round,


Finished product "look"

Now I can only really compare the Perry as thats what I've painted so far the victrix stuff with a little effort will look just as good, but with the Perry box you get bases, the Victrix box you don't but as I'm mounting mine on 40x40 bases the Perry bases aren't going to be used any way,


Now if I could only choose one box out of the pair I'd be picking up the Perry miniatures just on the pure basis of ease of construction and the actual poses, I don't see myself individually posing 60 odd chaps that'd be pure madness! I want them to look cool sure but that's where the neatness of the basing and ranks do the job for you on that front,

so for you guys & girls out there that have picked up both boxes would you agree? and if not why not?

4 comments:

  1. Good breakdown. If I ever get into building historical/Nappy/ACW type armies, plastics are the way I want to go. Nice seeing a side by side review like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. What scale are they?
    Also how well would the two types mix together in a unit? Could you do the majority of the unit as the fixed pose model and then just dot a few of the Victrix in to vary the mix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting mate!

    I would have gone for Victrix probably, I find the details on Perry stuff too small usually and the faces have less character!

    I wouldn't do mass battle Nappies though, probably only skirmish!

    Alternatively, I'd go for 1:72 scale Italeri or Revell, cheaper and easier to assemble!!!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhh.. questions...

    ok, Scale is 28mm and you could mix the two togeather no problems even to the point head swaps and the like would be no worries,

    If I was doing skirmish aka 2 fat lardies sharpe practice or what ever its called then yea victrix for the poses,

    the only reason I went 28mm was the other chap who has some brits where in 28mm so I figured what the hell!

    and I'm glad you liked the review.

    ReplyDelete