Wednesday 20 October 2010

Retribution Chimera & Malifaux Crew

So I managed to get a third game of warmachine in last week using the Retribution against Kurt, now Kurt is one of these guys who keeps on smiling no matter how much smack down you give him, but it was to be Kurts night with his trollblood gunline doing some very sneaky shooting (but quite clever) and my caster once more rolling over and playing dead!

The game was a good laugh and I discovered that dawnguard Invictors are pretty tasty and once there stuck together I'll be putting them on the painting table to sit there for a couple of weeks and hopefully the paint fairy will sprinkle some magic dust on them! I.e. if I have the time and can be arsed!! (I've picked up both call of duty & deadrising 2 so xbox time has gone through the roof!)

 But onto the Chimera.....
 
The colour scheme was a bit of a cross between the "challenge Ant" that Spencer gave me as well as the while that I painted on the caster, in layman terms its a right ball ache however it does look sweet on the table and once the whole lot is done it's gonna look mint!

 
























Its a fairly plain scheme which gives the models the animi look, they kinda remind me of the suit things out of appleseed,

So how does it fair on the tabletop?

Well points cost its the most expensive out of the three light warjacks that Retribution can field at the moment, however it is one of only two jacks that carry an arc node, now as a cryx player arc nodes are my bread and butter but with the Retribution, I'm still to find a happy medium with the arc node and offensive spells, but that'll come with time.

The thing that I like about the Retribution jacks as a whole is that you get forcefield's with each jack and the Chimera rolls in with 6, the other cool things that come with the jack is Apparition, the important bit on the description is that the model is placed, so according to the rule lawyers down the shop it's exempt from free strikes, but you do have to be completely within the 2" so basically you get to jump outta the way and carry on rocking!

the other little trick is the Phantasmal Field, basically +1 Def for each point of focus against ranged & magic attacks, but that would give you a defence of 15 if you stacked it to the max, but the focus could be spent else where so not too sure how much of a benefit you'd get out of this skill,

The actual hitting power of the jack is pretty naff, ok so you can combo attack for a P+S 20 attack which isn't to be sniffed at or make full use of the two open fists and long bomb your opponent around the board.

So over all "ok" is the way to describe the Chimera I've still alot of games to get under my belt so I can suss out how the model fits in with my plan and if it actually deserves a place in the army!!

Now on to the Malifaux crew, I've had these since April when I went to Salute but havn't really done much with them, I tried a game with Chris but that didn't really go too well as neither of us really knew the rules so was a bit slow to say the least, but recently I've been told by one of the other guys that the chaps over at wargames inc are playing it quite a lot so I did plan to go over there and get some dice time in, but other things came up so didn't make it, hopefully next week I'll get there and see what I can pick up,

But I did manage to get the crew painted, all in one day which I was happy with, over all the models are fairly easy to paint but are a little delicate but as I'm used to warmachine & 40K stuff these are actually in scale! I wanted to keep the actual scheme fairly simple but also quite dark as they are "bad guys"























Overall I'm quite happy with these as tabletop standard and it nice for something differant to paint I might get some more bits and bobs depending on how I get on with the rules system, but as I'm having a clearout I don't need anymore stuff to be honest!

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done sir ... although for a moment I thought you'd started a new Guard army! How was Loghborough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Malifoux crew - that was the one I was eyeing off - its nice to see the zombie ninjas in something other than the bear metal/resin posted on the Wyrd site.

    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you like them chaps,

    new guard army hell no, IF I was to do guard I'd go death korps but would need to sell my soul to buy the models!

    I didn't make it to Loughborough, jopefully next week if I don't get anymore "vistors"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a game in against Jack, and got owned! He's really upp'd his game recently - and I'm still pretty clunky with the Alpharius.

    ReplyDelete