Thursday 15 July 2010

Blood Angels & Imperial Guard Battle report

I've been playing against a chap from work called Steve for a while now and we tend to have some of the most obscure games that I've ever known, and as we had arranged a game I decided to snap a few pic's on the old phone and post up the battle report...

Now I decided to take a bit of a risk when it came to what army I was going to throw at him next and decided to dig the imperial guard out of the attic and see what would happen, So after looking at the codex a couple of hours before the game and working out how the infantry command structure actually works I came up with the following....

Company Command,
Commander with power weapon,
Regimental Standard
Vox-Caster
2 Plasma Guns
Nork deaddog

Infantry Command
Medi-pack
Vox-caster
Autocannon Team

Infantry Sqd 1
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon

Infantry Sqd 2
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon


Infantry Sqd 3
Grenade Launcher
Las Cannon

 Hvy Wpn Sqd
3 mortars


Hvy Wpn Sqd
3 mortars


Infantry Command
Medi-Pack
Vox-Caster
Auto Cannon
Power weapon on the officer


Infantry Sq 1
Melta Gun
Vox-Caster
Power wpn on the sarg


Infantry Sq 2
Flamer

Vox-Caster
Power wpn on the sarg


Infantry Sq 3
 Grenade Launcher
Vox-Caster

Hvy Weapon Sqd
3 Las Cannons


Hvy Weapon Sqd
3 Las Cannons


Hvy Weapon Sqd
3 Missle Launchers


Hvy Weapon Sqd
3 Missle Launchers


Hvy Weapon Sqd
3 Missle Launchers


Bane Wolf

So just over 1500

Steve on the other side of the fence bought along the following..

Merphiston
Command Sqd
Tactical Squad with heavy plasma & plasma gun with drop pod transport
Vanguard Vets
Sanguinary guard with priest attached
Death company with jump packs
2 units of assault marines
2 dreadnoughts with plasma cannons


So as it had been about 5 years since the guard had even seen the light of day this was going to be an interesting one....

Ok so Table Quarters and Victory points... my favourite combo!

I've some badly taken pics via my phone,and the maps are explained at the end

So the set up













Yup I'd adapted the classic gun line that had served me so well back in the day, question is would it work against the flying lady boys....















First Rank














Second Rank














Third Rank














Hiding in the corner!














The "assault" group!

and on Steve's side of the board















Blood Angels Turn 1













The drop pod came down but was slightly off target and the "Lord of the Cheese" stepped out, the tac marines moved through the ruins and the dreadnoughts nudded forward and sniped at the command elements with there plasma cannons, the assault marines made a run for it and the death company did the same,

Imperial Guard Turn 1













The "assault group" advanced forward and I threw my first speedbump into the fray...  I managed to get bring it down on the dreadnought but failed to do any thing with 6 lascannons & 9 missile launchers! it didn't bode well!

Blood Angel Turn 2


























So the LoC came flapping over with his wings of cheese, the van guard vets declared heroic intervention but scattered too close to the sausage sqd and died in a deepstrike mis-hap! The LoC then made them pay by kicking them all in the spuds and then moving back into cover.

Imperial Guard Turn 2













So the banewolf and infantry support moved round, and the next "wave" moved forward ready for the mincing machine to hit the gun line, I managed to immobilise and destroy the heavy plasma on one of the dreadnoughts as well, I blasted the bejesus out of mephistion and reduced him to one wound! but the world famous shooty guard army wasn't living up to the expectations that I'd hoped...

Blood Angel Turn 3


























So the Sang guard decided to show up and the assault marines lept over the building ready to take on the banewolf, the command sqd at the back shuffled forward so that the priest could give the guys in cover feel no pain, and the death company leap forward, the LoC took the bait and charged the next wave and despite the banewolf needing 6's to hit two melta bombs took it down. 

Imperial Guard Turn 3





























So the LoC down to one wound the gun line effectively boned I had nothing to lose and decided to go for it! so the remaining infantry sqd and the command squad decided to gang up on mephistion like a bunch of bullies in the play ground, and the infantry from the assault group made themselves ready to speedbump the assault marines and the sang guard but not before blasting them on the old rapid fire and causing nothing much apart from a laughing steve as the priest gave both squads feel no pain!, the other dreadnought finally decided to keel over and die and the LoC ripped though the command squad leaving just the boss man and nork alive! But Nork did the business and he went down finally!!

Blood Angel Turn 4





























Well the assault Group was jumped on in combat and the death company hit the remaining infantry squad, the plasma guns from the tactical marines then took out the last lac cannon squad, and the last remaining assault squad decided to show up and scattered back away from the guard.

Imperial Guard Turn 4
















So the Company commander and what was left got in against the death company and only the commander and his body guard walked away... a few pot shots from the missile launchers at the tac guys and that was about it really,

Blood Angel Turn 5

















So the assault marines jump on top of the hill and showed the guard what Int 4 can do and the san guard took out a mortar squad, and the tactical marines shot the commanders body guard,

Imperial Guard Turn 5
















The company commander moved back and looked defiant in front of his line, and the other dreadnought decided to explode after a the missile launchers shot at it again!

End Game,

So I got my ass well and truly handed to me on this on, with a wopping 11 Kill points to the Blood Angels compared to my 4,

What would I do differently? Well the Sausage sqd I would have held back along with the banewolf and let the angels come to me, also the death company wasn't using the rage rules which I only remembered whilst typing this up so Steve needs to learn his army rules!

One of the guys asked me if I enjoyed the game, to be quite honest it was a walk in the park for the angels, I need to play some warmachine really I'll have a fighting chance at that game!

Now the only reason I did this report was to test run the battlechronicler now its a good bit of kit and I like it so I'll be posting more up as I play! Give it ago you won't be disappointed!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a typical 'I've got a big rapist model and I know how to use him' game... they are pretty dull in my experience.

    I like the Chronicler ... I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete