Friday, 17 April 2015

Not enough play time..

I like to play various systems, after all variety is the spice of life! However I'm starting to feel that I have too much spice in my gaming life and let me explain why..

Over at Leicester Phat Cats we've sorted out a day of gaming on the 9th May where we've hired the hall and its an open session to bring what you want and play, and this is where I've had a reality check with regards to gaming.

I really don't have enough time to play what I've actually got early retirement would be brilliant but I think Nadine would have something to say about that!

Now I could go hardcore and only play one or two systems on a regular basis but I'd find that boring after a while so about 5-7 systems is probley a number to have on your shelf so that you can circulate them over a few months.

So for a while I've been threatening to shift some stuff that I've not used for a while and for a variety of reasons I've not really got rid of anything, its been a combination of laziness and the classic "I really like that system" so I want to keep it.

And this is where I encounter my dilemma as a gamer/plastic crack addict, I'm happy to drop 50 quid onto a "ohh that looks nice" skirmish system or set of models however if I've not used those models for a while and in some cases never! so I shove them in a box and forget about them.

So with that thought in mind I've decided to take the first steps towards a big clear out and all those work in progress projects that never really got any where are going to go first,

However I've decided to go for cold hard cash as there is no point trading as I've got plenty of stuff already, question is what do I aim to get with all these extra pennies....

Yep a shiney new desk so that I can replace the ones that I inherited a fair while back, loads more room to have more crap kicking about!

With getting rid of dead projects I also need to maintain my focus on self control which is easier said than done with the internet in my pocket and kickstarters and indigogo showing off model porn every month, add to the fact that I'm attending more shows that previous years either demoing for Prodos or the Phat Cats so I'm surrounded by "cool stuff" in the words of the borg Resistance is futile.

So the question to the masses would be do you horde your stuff or can you let it go when you no longer have the spark or passion for a particular system?

Saturday, 11 April 2015

West Midland Miltary Modeling Show 2015

A couple of months ago I decided to nip over to the West Midlands Military show over in Wolverhampton.

the show is ran by Alumwell Wargames

I'd not been to this one before so didn't know what to expect from a trader perceptive I also decided to take the GC with me and see how the day went down, as usual I took a ton of pictures so strap in here we go!

I'll apologise in advance as I didn't take any names or clubs that produced the tables, however the stand that was at the show was brilliant, every single board I was impressed by all really well done and a great amount of effort had gone into the models and scenery.

Isla was giving lots of "look, look" at each one!

The military models that the clubs had bought along were really nice, I've always been impressed with scale modellers and the work that they produce

this caught my eye and no not because of the phallic look! I was talking to the lads ages about 12? who were playing 40K and these are leaves from the monkey nut tree, genius idea which I'll steal!

Isla was starting to flag at this point! 



some bloke who stole my warzone table for the weekend!

I was looking at these from 1st corps, a possible buy for the KOW army

Isla liked the spartan type helmet

refueled and good to go!

I did the dangerous thing of asking what Isla wanted and the response was Batman, which made me smile alot as I'd had the new batman miniatures rule book rock up a week of so earlier, however no one was selling knight models and whilst wandering past the northstar miniatures stand Isla spotted penguins and before I knew it they were purchased!

I did manage to pick up some models from Ironclad miniatures and these guys I'll be converting into a necromunda gang for a campaign that will be played down at the club, The chap at Iron clad also gave Isla a Victorian woman with a gun to hunt the penguins as well which was really nice of him so huge thanks!

So overall the show was far better than I expected and the amount of stuff that I spotted to buy was great, I forgot to go back to clock work miniatures and pick up some of the robot tommies which I'll grab at salute instead. If your in the area next year this is well worth a look and for a couple of quid is a great day out.