Wednesday 5 June 2013

Expo and a million T-34's!

Well not quite, but not far off!

I managed to get the Phat Cats Battlegroup demo team into the Wargames expo over at Birmingham last month, I've been to a few of these shows in the past as both a punter and a torney player but this was the first time that I went as "demo guy"




The venue had changed from the previous place and was in a hotel near the NEC which I though was quite nice actually, food and refreshments were crazy priced but you can't win them all!


Compared to the previous years that I'd been the show was massive, and plenty of things to do and look at, this is just one of the trade halls/family games bit that I managed to capture on the Sunday near the end.



One of the demo boards that really impressed me and & Nick was the X-wing board and the way that it was made was very simple but looked lovely!








After running the Kursk game at hammerhead earlier in the year we decided to make a few changes to the forces and I was given the task of writing the German army list, and much to Phil's horror didn't include a tiger only one panther, As Coops got quite frothy on the Saturday and the points cost crept up I threw in the tiger and another panther for the "fun" factor!









Over the course of the weekend the table did get quite alot of attention from passers (including some cosplay ladies, which went down quite well with the 30 something virgins who still live with their parents!) by as not everyone was a wargamer so the feedback and overall comments that we got was really nice, also the amount of people that we managed to actually play was really good and on the Sunday 3 chaps from Somerset played the game for about 3 hours!


I was chatting to a chap on the Sunday who turned out to be one of the main organisers of the show, and was well impressed with the terrain and the models, Tony was quite determined to get tabletop gamers & traders back to expo and depending how this year goes workwise and well as GC Gaming wise I'm thinking of going with a small trade stand and selling the battlegroup series as well as some PSC models as no one had any WW2 stuff there, however there is quite a few "if's" in there so only time will tell!

During the course of the weekend it became quite apparent that T-34's are cannon fodder even to the panzer IV's and stugs, so when it comes to my own Russian force I'm gonna have to get some big guns out in the form of SU-152, and off table requests,

Some pretty pics of the table in "show" mode













and finally Adam getting his ass whupped by Rob at Dysoptian wars ;)


So thoughts are already turning towards next years themed table, Normandy is the most obvious choice however I'm thinking more sunny climates..

2 comments:

  1. It's got to be Normandy Ant; firstly it will be around the 60th Anniversary and secondly I'll have a shizzle load of armoured Americans you can use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good bloody point! I think it's the 70th Anniversary??

      Delete