Friday 7 June 2013

Hobby spiralling out of control?

Hi,

My name is Ant and I'm a Gaming Addict!




I was chatting with some of the guys that I know about gaming in general as you do, and we was winding up one of the guys with starting warmachine, Then this got me pondering about the amount of systems that I have but don't actually have a chance to play due to lack of time.

The list of systems I have models and rules for is... 

40K
Warmachine/Hordes
FOW
Battlegroup
Bolt Action
Malifaux
Drop Zone Commander
Empire of the Dead
Secrets of the Third Reich
Rules of Engagement
CY6
X-Wing
Dreadball
KOW
Warpath
Wings of War
Infinity
Bushido
Batman the Game
Dysopian wars & Legions
Firestorm Armada
Gruntz

Relics
Epic 40K
Coldwar Commander
Saga
Dark Age
Wild West Exadous (via kickstarter)
Warzone Chronicles (via kickstarter)
Deadzone (via kickstarter)
All quite on the martin front (via kickstarter)

Quite a list! and with some of those systems I've multiple armies. 

Then I decided to look at my kickstarter backed projects and totted up the amount that I've pledged in the last 6 months and was quite shocked on the amount I'm dropping on new systems. This doesn't include the normal purchases that I've made over the last 6 months and when you start doing the maths its quite scary how much you can drop on toy soldiers!

So I'm gonna put my balls on the wall for this one and not pick up any new systems for the remainder of the year, and I'm going even further and not going to get any new armies for existing systems (the only exception is bolt action where I'm looking at the Russians, Japanese or USA but only the one!)

If I'm gonna buy stuff then it will to expand existing armies that I've already got, its gonna be a tough one as I'm terrible for SMS (Shiny model syndrome) and the internet is doing a great job of promoting new stuff all the time!

do you guys have the same "issues" as myself?? 

14 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad Ant. I have a much smaller range of systems but those that I have I many armies for. I worked out my total FoW capacity the other day and figured out I can field 3000+ points for every major nation of WWII. Worse thing is I'm already building two BGO armies simultaneously which is how I got started with FoW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not about feeling bad, the constant bouncing between systems is the concerning part, and remembering what rules are for what system!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. yes afraid so, the usual "blow it" attitude has come to an end.

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain. I have set some purchasing limits on myself. It seems like i have piles and piles of toys i will never get to, and I never will be able to paint it all. Recognizing you have a problem is the first step! Stay strong brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be the first time that I've tried to restrict my spending so I'm intrested to see the differance on the bank balance!

      Delete
  4. Hello Ant!

    Well, yes I totally know what you mean. I actually resisted the All Quiet... Kickstarter, but only just.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kickstarter is my biggest weakness with the stretch goal and freebies that get thrown in, in some cases its a no brainer to jump on board Deadzone as an example!

      Delete
  5. I support you in your decision to limit buying. We could all do this. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I'm sure in the future they will be a rehab centre for SMS gamers ;)

      Delete
  6. i only played GW games for over a decade while other games barely got a lookin, since picking up malifaux and warmachine and realising there are other games out there (and how cheap anything is when compared to GW prices) it's been a snowball effect. Recently i had to put my foot down and not pick up Bushido which Titan have just started selling while i try and get my dropzone stuff painted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, I discovered warmachine about 10 years ago and since then everytime we've been to Salute its been standard pratice to pick up a new system, the systems that I've got are all quality ones the dodgy ones go on the 'bay.

      Delete