Saturday, 11 January 2014

Warzone Jungle terrain table the begining...

After doing the bolt action board my scenery building mojo has be lapse until warzone turned up and reading the fluff the jungle of Venus got my creative juices flowing again, so to put you in mood....

Jungle!!

As this board was for my personal use I wanted to make a deceit effort and knowing that I wouldn't need to "club proof" it I so have a play about, as long as it is stored well I could do all sorts to it.

So after spotting this on ebay...


I had my inspiration and there was no way I was paying 15 quid for a single piece of terrain so off to the aquarium part of ebay I wandered over to and found all sorts of bits and bobs that took my fancy,

so after some clicking of buy it now at stupid o'clock in the morning, I awaited the bits to wing it over from Hong Kong, in the mean time I zapped an email over to warbases to see what price that they would do some laser cut MDF bases for.

As usual warbases were superb with the price and the speed that they did these for me, in the end I went for 50mm inserts to have a bit more room to play with,

before I went mental on making the scenery I had a play about with Isla with the bits that I'd already got and so I could plan visually what else it needed,



so the plan of attack was in my head and went for it with the jungle plant foliage.

I started with getting hold of some cocktail sticks and canapé sticks, the canapé sticks were a little too thick for some of the plastic plant bits,



I dug out some holes with a craft knife and started with super glue but changed to PVA after a couple as it was some of the stubs were not standing well, the PVA had the density to keep the semi upright



I even made use of the bases to give some discs some height variation, you could the same with using air drying clay.



so after about an hour I have this lot



and whilst that was drying started to pull the plants into individual pieces, making sure not to snap the bit off the bottom that will connect to the stubby bits, leaving the discs over night to dry once more me and the GC got our geek on and started making the terrain.



I made sure that there was a good mix of different plants as the jungle wouldn't be uniform.



this is the general idea, and when you've a fair few...



and the model eye view,



I was pondering over the edges as the step was quite bit so I fired up the bench grinder and has some fun,



so not too much of an angle but enough to make me happy,



Then it was simply break out the sand/grit/birdgrit mix and PVA away! one thing I did was get a old pencil and run it around the inside of where the disc will go to remove any bits of sand etc so that you don't have any issues later.



and the same for the bases



once that's dry I left mine about a day then grabbed my huge tub of raw umber and a big brush and painted the sand, on both the bases and the inserts,






Once the paint was dry I got my knife and ran it around the inside of where the discs sit as the paint was preventing a nice fit, then I hit mine with a wetbrush of English uniform followed by German camo beige WW2, Once that was dry, it was time to flock!

I started off with a dark green flock that had a bit of body to it rather than the fine stuff you get, then followed it up with some normal static grass, 2 quite contrasting shades,



after they were dry or in my case I went to work, then it was simply a process of putting the bits together and snapping a few pics for you all to see.



One of the other clumps of jungle type plant I picked up were these ferns, all I've done to them was sand/stone mix with the same three stage highlight and that left it at that these are good enough to put on the table as they are, the only thing I'm considering is giving them a blast of matt varnish to get rid of the plastic shiny look



So using Eric the enforcer as a scale marker you can see the size of the plants and how big they look along side 28mm stuff,



overall I'm happy with how these look and the Jungle table is well on the way as this was most of the work that I had to do, for the next bit will be taking some existing warmill fences and giving them some weathering for the fence for the compound that will be part of the table.

comments welcome as always,