Tuesday 1 January 2019

2018 - Overview of the Year

2018, well what a year!!

Blog wise its been quite light due to various real life stuff, however the paint has continued to flow though out most of the year.

So lets start of with the "master plan"

well as I didn't do one, I didn't fail anything!

So onto the 2018 overview....

Jan -

It was a blue start to the year with the Smurfs get serious and start planning on an ACTUAL outing!



I also started getting some paint on the Algoryn for GoA that I picked up towards the end of the 2017, and as usual I went with russian green and I was very happy with the result for the amount of time that I took on these.






Feb -

The Phosphex Party get ready for a jolly down south....


a narrative doubles torney, much fun was had and lots of lessons learnt!



With the Necrons on the horizon for 40K I revisited and old friend, this time with the aid of an airbrush its made my life very very easy!



after bugging Ross for the martin basing technique they are well under way!

We also had the first show of the year, In the form of Robin



This was the second year that the show was ran, and much better than the 1st year as we had heating! I'll be looking forward to this in 2019. - I've had conformation that the Phat Cats will be running a table using This is not a test rules system. Really looking forward to that!

I also picked up Gangs of Rome at this show (System 1)

March -

With Necron fever gripping me I broke out the airbrush and went to work......



however I also decided to make a big decision and by a 3D printer, this was after a few months of debating and decided to pull the trigger!



and with star wars legions arriving soon I got it to work straight away, I picked up some STL's from Imperial terrain and was really impressed with the quality of the prints and how good they came out!



April -

Went for a bit of a jolly up north and ended up at Chillcon.





with Lee & Pete running the Blood and Plunder table, Dan, Keith and Spencer running the 30K table it was a busy day for the Phat Cats! Much fun was had and many many people joined in the demo games that we ran,

Starwars Legion hits the market running! (system two)



I go for the controversial choice of Rebs, whilst what appears to be the rest of the world goes for Imps!

So whilst I'm faffing about with legion Salute is looming and I finally get round to sorting out my sloop for the Spanish, Massive thanks to Lee & Gen for sorting out the sails eventually I plucked up the courage and finished off my sloop!


In the usual tradition I picked up a couple of new systems at Salute, the Burrows and Badgers I've already bits for so it was the updated book and Twilight I've looked at this for an awful long time so decided to take the plunge.


These pair taking me to four new systems for the year! 

May -

With the 3D printer chugging away in the back ground and necromunda gaining some speed at the Phat Cats I decided to show some terrain off, much dribbling was done and the 3D terrain makes a huge difference to the tile version of the game.


I was working slowly towards a 4x4 zone mortalis table, however I did hit a slight technical hitch with the printer that took it out of action for a fair few months! 

 June -

With the summer in full swing the painting slowed down and I continued to chop and change with different projects and chipped away at the Algryon 




July -

In a moment of madness I was a bit "bored" and decided to crack out 120 night goblins in the space of about a week, 


I managed to get these sorted out before a couple of holidays so was very very chuffed!

August -

With the batteries recharged and raring to go I hit a model that I've had kicking around for a while,






still yet to use it game wise however due to the "navy" markings I can use it for any army I like, 


After a quick lesson from Dan with how to paint white I cracked on with the world eaters and the test paint came out far better than I expected! 


and whilst I was mass painting via airbrush I did a vansaar necromunda gang for one of the guys at the club and proving that russain green looks good on everything! 


Kill team for 40K hits the market and after some pondering I went with a 4 lictor kill team that I soon discovered is absolute filth! so was quickly shelved before too many people got upset! 


The world eaters continued to gain momentum and the ranks were filling fast! 






September -

With all the infantry sorted out for the world eaters it was time to start on the fun stuff!












so the command rhino and the venator done, its just the 4 drop pods left - however I forgot that in my list is a landspeeder that I was not using at all during my games!


Adeptus Titanicus hits the market in a blaze of glory and flash backs for me with space marine being my first system, I broke out the air brush and had a great time painting these.


with some spare time one day I converted up a squad of reavers into a command type squad and they look better than the normal guys as the chain axes are bad ass!

October -

With real life getting quite interesting my painting took a massive dip and only managed to get 2 warhounds done! 





Nov -

enough said...


no models painted funnily enough!


Dec -

As the year was rapidly coming to an end I managed to find my mojo thanks to Dave suggesting that I join in a warmachine slow grow campaign, 





it started off with a quick test paint of a 2019 project that is discussed in depth on the Phosphex party episode 6!






a cheeky 40 VC for ambush alley, these were quick and dirty as the models themselves are quite poor however I'm looking forward to sourcing some others to try out.





I managed to get the printer working and found a cheeky STL online that looks like a popular transport option for the marine faction, size wise these look spot on so a couple of these for the zone mortalis board and I've an instant motor pool!


Also during the month of December I did a 25(ish) point force for warmachine so these are ready to go for the 2019 campaign, as time goes on I've stuff to add to these however the swamp bases were fun to do and it gives a different look to shat I normally go for.

2018 was a bit of a mixed bag due to a number of personal reasons which I won't go into however I do have to thank a number of people for the support that I've had throughout the year and without you guys I could be in a far worse place!

That Roll call is......

Bec, Julie, Steve, Chrissi, Kris, Mandy, Lee, Gen, Dan, Keith (both of you!), Vince, Rob, Ross, Spencer, Phil, Mick, Sharad

Thank you all for the support, some of you wouldn't even be aware of what you did, however listening to me on a number of occasion's helped massively.

This was reflected with the blog posts being dry and the painting not being to the usual body count however I'm sure that once a few personal issues are sorted out in 2019 then normal service will resume.

My chopping and changing of projects continued through out the year and I've no doubt that this will continue to happen in 2019.

so onto the score on the doors!

Bought: 528

Painted: 750

Difference +222

massive numbers this year considering whats been going on, I came so close to finishing off the world eaters and Algoryn but took my eye off the finish line and they got pushed to the side over other stuff.

However 2019 will have a master plan so that I can curb my spending and catch up with various projects that I've been meaning to finish for a while.

A huge thanks to all the readers of the blog and hope you all had a cracking 2018, and here's to a great 2019! 

No comments:

Post a Comment